Saturday, March 14, 2009

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (also known as Artificial Intelligence: A.I. or simply A.I.) is a 2001 science fiction film directed, produced and co-written by Steven Spielberg. Based on the short story Super-Toys Last All Summer Long, the film stars Haley Joel OsmentFrances O'Connor,Jude LawSam RobardsJake Thomas and William Hurt.A.I. takes place at an unspecified date in the future, and tells the story of David, a "mecha" programmed with the ability to love.

Development of A.I. began with Stanley Kubrick in the early 1970s. Kubrick brought a series of writers up until the mid-1990s, including Brian AldissBob ShawIan Watson andSara Maitland. The film was pushed back due for years because Kubrick felt computer-generated imagery was not advanced enough to create the David character, whom he believed no child actor would believably portray. In 1995 Kubrick handed A.I. to Spielberg, but the film did not gain momentum until the death of Kubrick in 1999. Spielberg remained close to Watson's film treatment for the screenplay, and replicated Kubrick's secretive style of filmmaking. A.I. was greeted with positive reviews and financial success.

No comments:

Post a Comment